jGirls Magazine accepts submissions on an ongoing basis from self-identifying Jewish teenage girls ages 13-19. You can submit articles, essays, fiction, poetry, cultural reviews, humor, photographs, music, videos, artwork and other creative materials. You can submit as often as you’d like.
Please note: You must read all four sections below (Who Can Submit?, What Should I Write About?, What Can I Submit?, and What Happens Next?) before submitting.
Anyone who considers herself to be a Jewish girl and is between the ages of 13-19 is eligible to submit material.
jGirls is committed to the visibility and representation of the different voices, perspectives and experiences that comprise our diverse Jewish community.
- We actively encourage submissions from participants who are diverse in their Jewish identification, sexual orientation, gender expression, race, ethnicity and abilities.
- We accept submissions from all over the world. There are no geographic restrictions.
Unfortunately, jGirls cannot publish all submissions and cannot accept submissions from girls under the age of 13.
- We will permit some work to be published anonymously—please contact us to discuss.
- You must submit all content under your own name, but you may request to have that content published anonymously. If you wish to do this, mark on the piece itself “PUBLISH ANONYMOUSLY” and also indicate it on the submission form (there is a space for this).
- We will contact you if we have any concerns about publishing the piece anonymously.
- We don’t share personal information (email address, etc.) with third parties.
jGirls accepts two different content streams, with two different deadline guidelines.
1. Submit on any topic of interest to you (no deadline).
Content does not have to be about being Jewish and/or a girl. See our list of suggestions below to help get your ideas flowing.
Topic suggestions include (but are not limited to):
- Body image
- Current events
- Identity (including Jewish, gender and sexual identity)
- Jewish learning
- Personal experiences
- Pop culture & cultural reviews
- Social justice
2. Submit on a theme, by a deadline.
In addition to regularly publishing works on the variety of topics previously described, we also periodically publish works around specific themes. Our upcoming theme is:
February/March 2020: School Pressure
- How do you balance school responsibilities with social life?
- What academic pressures do you experience?
The deadline for submissions on this theme is January 15th.
- See our list of more upcoming themes and deadlines.
Unsure what to write about? Not ready to submit your work just yet? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to hear about new themes and be inspired by new original content.
Types of Content
- We accept content in any digital media, including: articles, essays, fiction, poetry, cultural reviews, humor, photographs, music, videos, artwork and other creative materials.
- At the moment, we can accept written submissions and video pieces with spoken elements in English only.
- We accept both: materials you created for other purposes, and original material. If it’s something you want to share, we want to see it.
Previously Published Works
- We accept works that have already been published elsewhere. However, the original publisher must permit re-publishing/re-posting. It is your responsibility to check that publisher’s terms or obtain written permission to republish the material.
All materials will be reviewed by our teen Editorial Board. Everyone who submits will receive a response once a decision has been made.
After our editors have reviewed your piece, you will receive an email indicating one of the following:
- The Board has decided to publish your piece. Congratulations!
- The Board is requesting changes. If you wish to make the changes, your piece will be reviewed and considered again. You’re off to a good start!
- The Board is declining to publish this particular piece. There are many reasons your piece might be declined, but none of them are a reflection of your worth or your importance to the jGirls community. We encourage you to continue submitting to us!
Please note that because we review each piece carefully, it can take a long time (sometimes many months) before we get back to you. Please be sure to add jgirlsmagazine.org to your address book to ensure you receive our emails and they don’t go to Junk or Spam.
jGirls Magazine reserves the right to edit all accepted material for style, clarity, usage, etc.
We also encourage everyone who submits to take advantage of the other opportunities to participate in jGirls, including reading the site, participating in online dialogue in comments, joining us on social media, and sharing the site with friends.